Holy moly! This month was HUGE for new (to-me) books. I’ve joked a little in the past about having a problem, but this sort of pushes in into a real problem. Combine large numbers of books on my must-buy list with Prime Day Promos and you get this monstrosity. My Bookshelf Blitz for next month is desperately needed. We didn’t accept any ARC’s this month and the giveaways have been quiet…..plus I keep forgetting to enter them.
July 1st Haul
This haul would have been relatively uneventful…..except for the very large amounts of Animorphs and Dragonlance.
- All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern)
- Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (Inheritance Cycle #4)
Pern is in by default “must have” list and I would like to thank Janice H., at least formerly, of Oregon for parting with your book so that I could eventually add it to my collection. I’ll be sure to keep your birth date, address, phone number and parents work number safe. As for Inheritance, it completes the series for me. All hardcovers too.
- The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson #5)
- The Ellimist Chronicles by K.A. Applegate (Animorphs)
- Back to Before by K.A. Applegate (Megamorphs #4, Animorphs)
- In the Time of the Dinosaurs by K.A. Applegate (Megamorphs #2, Animorphs)
- Animorphs Series by K.A. Applegate (#’s, 2, 3, 7, 14, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 37, 38, 40, 42, 46)
Percy Jackson is now complete. These are my first Chronicles and Megamorphs books, which are companion books to the Animorphs series. Speaking of which, I’m now only missing 18 out of the 54 in the main series.
- The Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth #1)
- The Seeing Stone by Tony DiTerlizzi & Holly Black (Spiderwick #2)
- Shadow of the Flame by Chris Pierson (Taladas #3, Dragonlance)
- Blades of the Tiger by Chris Pierson (Taladas #1, Dragonlance)
- The Best of Weis & Hickman Anthology (Dragonlance)
- The Best of Tales Vol.2 (Dragonlance)
- The Oath and the Measure by Micheal Williams (Meetings Sextant #4, Dragonlance)
- The Lake of Death by Jean Rabe (The Age of Mortals, Dragonlance)
- Amber and Ashes by Margaret Weis (Dark Disciple #1, Dragonlance)
- Dragons of a Fallen Sun by Weis & Hickman (War of Souls #1, Dragonlance)
- Dragons of Summer Flame by Weis & Hickman (Second Generation #2, Dragonlance)
- Test of the Twins by Weis & Hickman (Legends #3, Dragonlance)
- War of the Twins by Weis & Hickman (Legends #2, Dragonlance)
The first book in The Sword of Truth was too good to pass up. The latter books have taunted me for months. Spiderwick snuck in with all the rest. Last, but not least, all the Dragonlance. From Taladas, set on another continent, to the all the good stuff in the core books.
July 12th Haul
Since the carpets were being cleaned and then drying we went to our usual book haunt. It was slimmer pickings there were a couple of great finds.
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
- The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan (Rangers Apprentice #2)
- John Carter of Mars Vol.1 by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Slathbog’s Gold by M. L. Forman (Adventurers Wanted #1)
- Spearwielder’s Tale by R. A. Salvatore (Complete Spearwielder’s Trilogy)
While I’ve got the Elantris audiobook I just couldn’t pass up a hardcopy…..Plus Lisa hasn’t read it. For Ranger’s Apprentice we had #1, 3, & 5 so getting Burning bridge at lets us have the first three. John Carter is a classic that I’ve been wanting to read since finding out that the books are supposed to be better than the movie. Oh, Adventurer’s Wanted is a series I read just before we started the blog and book #5 is finally coming out this Fall. I loved it, so now that I own the first book I’ll try and reread so I can get a review out before #5 hits shelves. Lastly, I want to read more R. A. Salvatore but most of his work is in Forgotten Realms and my serial OCD won’t let me skip. Thankfully this is a standalone world and it’s the whole trilogy in one book. SCORE!
The actual book deals for Prime Day were underwhelming. Everything was either stuff already on my shelf or stuff I wasn’t interested in paying $10 for. However the two book promos were pretty good. Buy a Kindle book and get 40% back. We purchased the entire Harry Potter series on Kindle for $54 and got $20 in credit. (Actually we had $24.44 but there was supposed to be a $20 limit so either we got extra or we already had a little credit.) So far Lisa used some to get a book, but we still have over $10. I like to think we payed full price for HP and then get free books instead of getting it HP 40% off and then having to buy more books.
The other promo was Get $5 off your $15 book purchase. Lisa used it herself to get her own book (which see ended up pay for with credit) and I used it too. Since I don’t have Prime I had to get enough books for free shipping…….Yep, I just had to.
- w/ Promo
- The Red: First Light by Linda Nagata (The Red #1)
- The Trials by Linda Nagata (The Red #2)
- Going Dark by Linda Nagata (The Red #3)
- The Second Generation by Weis & Hickman (Dragonlance)
- Invader by C. J. Cherryh (Foreigner #2)
- w/ Credit
- Inheritor by C. J. Cherryh (Foreigner #3)
- Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern)
- Just because….
- Crown of Vengeance by Lackey & Mallory (Dragon Prophecy #1)
Linda Nagata is fast becoming one of my favorite authors but a little less known so the likelihood of finding used copies is pretty low……So I bit the bullet and bought the entire trilogy. The Second Generation is one of the harder Weis & Hickman Dragonlance books to find so if I was going to have it on my shelf I was going to need to buy it online. And since the used prices were within a buck of brand new this was perfect for the promo. I knew I wanted to read more in Ms. Cherryh’s Foreigner series when I finished the first book. I have no doubt I can find used copies in the series, but it’s unlikely they’ll be the second book.
As for the additional credit Lisa graciously allowed me to use it. So I got the third book in the Foreigner series and Dragonsdawn which is a “prequel” so I never got around to it.
Lastly, while not a part of any promo, I picked up a used hardcover copy of Crown of Vengeance by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory (Dragon Prophecy #1) a prequel trilogy set in the World of Obsidian (Obsidian Trilogy, Enduring Flame Trilogy). The second book is set to come out this Fall and I haven’t read the first book yet.
3 thoughts on “July Book Haul”
Take care this fortress of books doesn’t accidentally fall on someone 😀
John Carter.. I do hope the book is better than the movie, I remember watching it in cinema and being very disappointed!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yeah, watch out for the later Sword of Truth books. I ended up buying them in hardcover but I suspect the only one I’ll ever actually re-read is Wizard’s First Rule.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the heads up!
LikeLiked by 1 person